Abbreviations and Acronyms:NSCLC (non–small cell lung cancer)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Randomized trial of lobectomy versus limited resection for T1 N0 non–small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer Study Group.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60 (discussion 622-3): 615-622https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-4975(95)00537-u
- Lung cancer incidence and mortality in National Lung Screening Trial participants who underwent low-dose CT prevalence screening: a retrospective cohort analysis of a randomised, multicentre, diagnostic screening trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 590-599https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(15)00621-X
- Recent trends in the identification of incidental pulmonary nodules.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 192: 1208-1214https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201505-0990OC
- Incidence of local recurrence and second primary tumors in resected stage I lung cancer.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109: 120-129https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(95)70427-2
- Radical sublobar resection for small-sized non–small cell lung cancer: a multicenter study.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006; 132: 769-775https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2006.02.063
- A phase III randomized trial of lobectomy versus limited resection for small-sized peripheral non-small cell lung cancer (JCOG0802/WJOG4607L).Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010; 40: 271-274https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp156
- Segmentectomy versus lobectomy in small-sized peripheral non-small-cell lung cancer (JCOG0802/WJOG4607L): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised, controlled, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2022; 399: 1607-1617https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)02333-3
- Parenchymal preserving anatomic resections result in less pulmonary function loss in patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer.J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015; 10: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/s13019-015-0253-6
- A case-matched study of anatomical segmentectomy versus lobectomy for stage I lung cancer in high-risk patients.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005; 27: 675-679https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2005.01.006
- Lobes, fissures, and bronchopulmonary segments.Thorac Surg Clin. 2007; 17: 587-599https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thorsurg.2006.12.008
- Robotic lobectomy and segmentectomy: technical details and results.Surg Clin North Am. 2017; 97: 771-782https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2017.03.008
- Functional advantage after radical segmentectomy versus lobectomy for lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 80: 2041-2045https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2005.06.010
- Systemic and regional pulmonary function after segmentectomy.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 152: 747-753https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2016.05.059
- Comparison of pulmonary segmentectomy and lobectomy: safety results of a randomized trial.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 158: 895-907https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.03.090
Kent M, Landreneau R, Mandrekar S, Hillman S, Nichols F, Jones D, et al. Segmentectomy versus wedge resection for non-small cell lung cancer in high-risk operable patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:1747-54; discussion 1754-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.05.104
Drs Weiss and Deeb were funded through the Jack Mitchell Surgical Education and Thoracic Oncology Fellowships, respectively.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Commentary: Calling a spade a spade? What constitutes a segmentectomyThe Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular SurgeryVol. 165Issue 6
- PreviewThe Nederlands–Leuvens Longkanker Screenings Onderzoek (NELSON) trial proved that a national program for lung cancer screening improves lung cancer–related mortality largely in part to detecting smaller tumors and earlier stage of disease.1 Over the course of the NELSON trial, surgical resection, specifically lobectomy, was the gold standard for treatment of early-stage lung cancer.2 Lobectomy has been challenged by limited resection over the years through retrospective studies showing conflicting results.