Abbreviations and Acronyms:ACR (acute cellular rejection), CLAD (chronic lung allograft dysfunction), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CPB (cardiopulmonary bypass), CT (computed tomography), DLT (double lung transplant), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), EVLP (ex vivo lung perfusion), IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis), ISHLT (International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation), MCS (mechanical circulatory support), OPO (Organ Procurement Organization), OR (odds ratio), OS (overall survival), PGD (primary graft dysfunction), SLT (single lung transplant)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Lung transplantation.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 159-171
- The International Thoracic Organ Transplant registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: thirty-sixth adult lung and heart–lung transplantation report—2019; focus theme: donor and recipient size match.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2019; 38: 1042-1055
- The registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: thirty-fourth adult lung and heart-lung transplantation report—2017; focus theme: allograft ischemic time.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017; 36: 1047-1059
- Single versus bilateral lung transplantation: do guidelines exist?.Thorac Surg Clin. 2015; 25: 47-54
- Bilateral versus single lung transplantation: are two lungs better than one?.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10: 4588-4601
- Surgical patient outcomes after the increased use of bilateral lung transplantation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007; 133: 532-540
- Bilateral lung transplantation provides better long-term survival and pulmonary function than single lung transplantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Transplantation. 2019; 103: 2634-2644
- A single-center experience of 1500 lung transplant patients.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156: 894-905.e3
- Single-lung transplantation in the setting of aborted bilateral lung transplantation.J Transplant. 2011; 2011: 535649
- Turning the medical gaze in upon itself: root cause analysis and the investigation of clinical error.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 62: 1605-1615
- Comparison of outcomes in lung and heart transplant recipients from the same multiorgan donor.Clin Transplant. 2020; 34: e13768
- Adult lung transplantation: technical considerations.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 20: 152-164
- Update on chronic lung allograft dysfunction.Curr Transplant Rep. 2016; 3: 185-191
- Report of the ISHLT working group on primary lung graft dysfunction, part I: definition and grading-A 2016 consensus group statement of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017; 36: 1097-1103
- Revision of the 1996 working formulation for the standardization of nomenclature in the diagnosis of lung rejection.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007; 26: 1229-1242
- Revision of the 1990 working formulation for the standardization of nomenclature in the diagnosis of Heart rejection.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005; 24: 1710-1720
- Potential functional and survival benefit of double over single lung transplantation for selected patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Transpl Int. 2010; 23: 887-896
- OPTN/SRTR 2016 annual data report: lung.Am J Transplant. 2018; 18: 363-433
- Three-year results of an investigator-driven multicenter, international, randomized open-label de novo trial to prevent BOS after lung transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015; 34: 16-25
- Acute rejection and antibody-mediated rejection in lung transplantation.Clin Chest Med. 2017; 38: 667-675
- Bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome-free survival after lung transplantation: an International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Thoracic Transplant registry analysis.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2019; 38: 5-16
- Native lung complications in single-lung transplant recipients and the role of pneumonectomy.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009; 28: 851-856
- Staging of bilateral lung transplantation for high-risk patients with interstitial lung disease: one lung at a time.Am J Transplant. 2016; 16: 3270-3277
- OPTN/SRTR 2017 annual data report: Lung.Am J Transplant. 2019; 19: 404-484
- Shipping lungs greater distances increases costs without cutting waitlist mortality.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 110: 1691-1697
- Unintended consequences of changes to lung allocation policy.Am J Transplant. 2019; 19: 2164-2167
- Chest computed tomography imaging improves potential lung donor assessment.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 1711-1718.e1
- Cardiopulmonary bypass duration is an independent predictor of morbidity and mortality after cardiac surgery.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2008; 22: 814-822
- OPTN Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network.https://www.hhs.gov/guidance/sites/default/files/hhs-guidancedocuents/otpn_policiesDate accessed: August 18, 2021
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grant 1 R01 HL146856-01A1 (to V.P.) and Mid-America Transplant Foundation Grant 022017 (to V.P.).
Institutional Review Board (IRB): #202102047; 02/16/2021. The IRB approved the study protocol and publication of data. Patient written consent for the publication of the study data was waived by the IRB because of its retrospective nature.
The editorial review of this article was handled by Associate Editor Thomas A. D'Amico, MD.
Drs Terada and Takahashi are co-first authors.