Abbreviations and Acronyms:BiV (biventricular), BDG (bidirectional Glenn), BPAB (bilateral pulmonary artery banding), CICU (cardiac intensive care unit), CSII (comprehensive stage II), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), HLHS (hypoplastic left heart syndrome), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: experience with palliative surgery.AM J Cardiol. 1980; 45: 87-91
- Transplant-free survival and interventions at 6 years in the SVR trial.Circulation. 2018; 137: 2246-2253
- Survival after Norwood procedure in high-risk patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109: 828-833
- Hybrid strategy for neonates with ductal-dependent systemic circulation at high risk for Norwood.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 106: 595-601
- Hybrid therapy for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: myth, alternative, or standard?.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 151: 1112-1123.e5
- Lessons learned from the development of a new hybrid strategy for the management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Pediatr Cardiol. 2005; 26: 190-199
- The evolution of therapeutic strategies: niche apportionment for hybrid palliation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 106: 1873-1880
- Rapid 2-stage Norwood I for high-risk hypoplastic left heart syndrome and variants.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 146: 1146-1152
- Report from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons national database workforce: clarifying the definition of operative mortality.World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2013; 4: 10-12
- Standardization of management after Norwood operation has not improved 1-year outcomes.Cardiol Young. 2021; 31: 105-113
- Stage 1 hybrid palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome—assessment of contemporary patterns of use: an analysis of The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Congenital Heart Surgery Database.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 149: 195-202.e1
- Fifteen-year single center experience with the “Giessen Hybrid” approach for hypoplastic left heart and variants: current strategies and outcomes.Pediatr Cardiol. 2015; 36: 365-373
- Bilateral pulmonary artery banding for resuscitation in high-risk, single-ventricle neonates and infants: a single-center experience.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 145 (discussion 13-4.): 206-213
- Hybrid palliation for critical systemic outflow obstruction: neither rapid stage 1 Norwood nor comprehensive stage 2 mitigate consequences of early risk factors.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 149: 182-191
- Is a hybrid strategy a lower-risk alternative to stage 1 Norwood operation?.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 153: 163-172.e6
- Hybrid approach for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: intermediate results after the learning curve.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85: 2063-2071
- Neonatal renal physiology.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2013; 22: 195-198
- Improved outcomes with the comprehensive Stage 2 procedure after an initial hybrid stage 1.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 151: 424-429
- Completion angiography after cardiac surgery for congenital heart disease: complementing the intraoperative modalities.Pediatr Cardiol. 2009; 30: 1075-1082
- Selective use of inpatient interstage management after Norwood procedure.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109: 139-147
- Mortality and neurodevelopmental outcome at 1 year of age comparing hybrid and Norwood procedures.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; 42: 33-39
- The association between brain injury, perioperative anesthetic exposure, and 12-month neurodevelopmental outcomes after neonatal cardiac surgery: a retrospective cohort study.Paediatr Anaesth. 2014; 24: 266-274
- Long-term results of biventricular repair after initial Giessen hybrid approach for hypoplastic left heart variants.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 149: 1112-1122.e2
- Biventricular repair in neonates with hypoplastic left heart complex.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 66: 1350-1356
- Critical left ventricular outflow tract obstruction: the disproportionate impact of biventricular repair in borderline cases.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007; 134: 1429-1437
- Staged left ventricular recruitment after single-ventricle palliation in patients with borderline left heart hypoplasia.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 1966-1974
This study reports the results of a multidisciplinary program that required the involvement of investigators from multiple departments at our institution.
The Institutional Review Board of Children's National Hospital approved this study with a waiver of individual consent (Institutional Review Board #09933, 1/22/18).
Read at the 101st Annual Meeting of The American Association for Thoracic Surgery: A Virtual Learning Experience, April 30-May 2, 2021.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Notice of CorrectionThe Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular SurgeryVol. 165Issue 1
- PreviewRe: Ceneri NM, Desai MH, Tongut A, Ozturk M, Ramakrishnan K, Staffa SJ, et al; Children's National Hospital Hybrid Working Group. Hybrid strategy in neonates with ductal-dependent systemic circulation and multiple risk factors. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2022;164:1291-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2021.11.103
- Commentary: Palliation pit stopThe Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular SurgeryVol. 164Issue 5
- PreviewDespite improvements in surgical technique and medical care, 1-year transplant-free survival rates for newborns with hypoplastic left heart syndrome continue to approximate 70%.1 Bilateral pulmonary artery banding with ductal stenting (hybrid palliation) was initially developed to alter this paradigm by avoiding cardiopulmonary bypass and circulatory arrest in the neonatal period.2 Reported results for this strategy are either equivalent or inferior to Norwood.3 Most centers use the hybrid procedure selectively for high-risk patient populations.