Abbreviations and Acronyms:CI (confidence interval), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), HKTx (simultaneous heart-kidney transplant), HR (hazard ratio), HTx (heart transplant), IQR (interquartile range), IRB (Institutional Review Board), OPTN (Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network), SRI (significant renal insufficiency), UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing), VAD (ventricular assist device)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- OPTN/SRTR 2018 Annual data report: heart.Am J Transplant. 2020; 20: 340-426
- Renal allograft outcome after simultaneous heart and kidney transplantation.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 120: 494-499
- Outcomes of simultaneous heart-kidney and lung-kidney transplantations: the Australian and New Zealand experience.Intern Med J. 2015; 45: 1236-1241
- Heart and combined heart-kidney transplantation in patients with concomitant renal insufficiency and end-stage heart failure.Am J Transplant. 2014; 14: 384-396
- The International Thoracic Organ Transplant Registry of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: twenty-first pediatric heart transplantation report-2018; focus theme: multiorgan transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2018; 37: 1184-1195
- Long-term outcomes of simultaneous heart and kidney transplantation in pediatric recipients.Pediatr Transplant. 2017; 21https://doi.org/10.1111/petr.13023
- Striking a balance in simultaneous heart kidney transplant: optimizing outcomes for all wait-listed patients.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020; 31: 1661-1664
- Steering group of the UK Cardiothoracic Transplant Audit. Pre-existing renal failure doubles 30-day mortality after heart transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2004; 23: 1231-1237
- A recipient risk prediction tool for short-term mortality after pediatric heart transplantation.Transplantation. 2019; 103: 2434-2439
- Peri-operative kidney injury and long-term chronic kidney disease following orthotopic heart transplantation in children.Pediatr Nephrol. 2015; 30: 905-918
- Renal injury and recovery in pediatric patients after ventricular assist device implantation and cardiac transplant.Pediatr Transplant. 2019; 23: e13477
- Impact of ventricular assist device placement on longitudinal renal function in children with end-stage heart failure.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016; 35: 449-456
- Increasing complexity of thoracic transplantation and the rise of multiorgan transplantation around the world: insights from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Registry.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2018; 37: 1145-1154
- Heart-kidney and heart-liver transplantation provide immunoprotection to the cardiac allograft.Ann Thorac Surg. 2019; 108: 458-466
Funding: National Institutes of Health 1R01HL147957-01.
Read at the 101st Annual Meeting of The American Association for Thoracic Surgery: A Virtual Learning Experience, April 30-May 2, 2021.
The IRB of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center approved the study protocol and publication of data (IRB number: 2018-6837, IRB date of approval: 10/29/2018). Patient written consent for the publication of the study data was waived by the IRB because the analysis was done on a deidentified nationally available dataset.